It’s been about two years since I utilized my blog platform. This summer is going to be quiet and largely spent at home, and I need structure to be productive. Blogging was a structure that I thrived in for years and one that I’d love to jump back into. I’ll be shifting my focus a bit, though I still plan to center my posts on YA and MG books.
Here are my personal projects over the next 8 weeks:
- Supporting a staff summer reading program focused on diverse books (both YA and MG)
- Listening to and reflecting on the podcast Teaching While White
- Advocating for a more diverse English curriculum in public schools
- Writing Act 2 of novel-in-progress (a sci-fi cooking mystery about the power of food to bridge cultural gaps)
What my posts will look like this summer:
- Reviews of YA and MG books I’m reading
- Reflections on teaching and my own cultural awareness
- Actions we need to take as educators towards a more diverse curriculum that decenters whiteness
- Writing check-ins
Until my next post, I highly recommend you check out this panel from the Gaithersburg Book Festival about diverse books:
I hope your summer is off to a good start! Stay safe and well!